Skip to main content

Lent Me Your Ear

 

We are now the midst of Lent, but does that really mean anything in the world we live in today? The purpose of Lent is for Christians to prepare for the coming of Easter through penance and self-denial. It lasts for 40 days in commemoration of the 40 days and nights Jesus spent fasting in the Judaean Desert. As if through mimicking his actions, by abstaining from something that we enjoy, we can more thoroughly understand Christ and thus be brought closer to God. It is a noble concept, but in 2021 it can all feel a little bit old world and outdated.

When I was a child, I took Lent very seriously. My two sisters and I would give up sweets every year. No chocolate, no jellies, no biscuits. If it was sweet, it was off limits. Occasionally we would make an exception for the St Patrick’s Day parade when sweets would be thrown out to the crowd. Although to me this felt sinful, like I had broken a sacred pact with God. I knew I should not do it, but the ChupaChups from the Sligo scouts brigade were just too enticing for a seven-year-old to pass up.

But my monk like devotion to the practice of Lent may not be as noble as it first seems. This was because there was an alternative purpose to my abstinence. Every year on the first day of Lent I would secure a tin box. This I called my “sweet tin” and every time I was offered something sweet throughout the 40 days of Lent, I would be more than happy to accept it and quietly store it in my sweet tin. Like a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter, I would fill my sweet tin with every variety of surgery treat. Then on Easter Sunday I would gorge on 40 days’ worth of snacks, making the whole process of self-denial redundant. I had merely mastered the art of delayed gratification and would reward myself in an obscene display of gluttony.

As I grew I older the practice fell away and by the time I’d entered my teens I no longer participated in it. But this year has got me thinking deeply about the concept of Lent. The idea of a Lentian sacrifice, a daily discipline based on self-determination, resilience, and strength feels oddly appropriate for 2020 and 2021.

What are some of the most absurd answers you could think of if someone asked you pre-Covid what you were giving for Lent? I’ll give you some of mine:

“I’m giving up going more than 5km from my house.”

“I’m giving up meeting anyone outside of my own household.”

“I’m giving up visiting anyone, or going anywhere, or doing anything!”

The restrictions have been difficult for everyone but when you think about it, that’s what Lent is all about. Restrictions. Except this time, it has not lasted 40 days, it has lasted for more than a year. But what we have done, and what we accomplished together has saved countless lives and that is truly commendable.

The idea of Lent is that if you take away the things you enjoy, you will appreciate them more when they have been returned to you. It is a mindful practice that allows you to truly get to know and respect the things you enjoy. I miss my friends. I miss my freedoms. I miss travelling, and festivals, the cinema, and the pub. But just like Lent, this too shall pass. Unfortunately, there is no sweet tin that can include all the experiences we have missed out on over the past year, but we certainly won’t take our passions for granted after this is all over. So, when someone asks if I’ve given up anything for Lent this year? I say no. Because we have been living in constant state of Lent for so long already. Covid19 has been like the longest 40 days of our lives. But there is an end in sight. Hallelujah.

[This article was originally published in SIN issue 10]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Bowie (1969)

The Bowie Project #2 - David Bowie aka Space Oddity aka Man of Words/Man of Music (1969) Click here to listen to an audio version of this review on Spotify Many call this the first true David Bowie album. After the commercial failure of his first record two years earlier (also called David Bowie ), the future Ziggy Stardust sought to reinvent himself and shed his jaunty music hall vaudeville past, and what better way to erase everyone’s memory of the first album than by giving the next one the exact same name? The origins of this album begin with the promotional movie Love You till Tuesday   which Kenneth Pitt, Bowie’s new manager, hoped would showcase his talents and introduce him to a larger audience. The film ended up being shelved and was not released until 1984 when it finally appeared on VHS. The half-hour promo was originally planned to include seven previously released Bowie songs and one mime performance, but before shooting began Bowie wrote a new song for the fi...

Earthling (1997)

The Bowie Project #25 - Earthling (1997) David Bowie’s 21st studio album Earthling (stylised as EART HL ING ) was released on 3 February 1997. The follow up to the 1995 concept album Outside the original plans were for this record to be a conceptual continuation of what came before. Instead, Bowie scrapped that idea and this album was just merely influenced by some of styles and sounds of Outside in particular electronica as well as drum and bass/jungle culture that had been developing throughout the 1990s. This album is an interesting one in that it sounds like Bowie has never been further away from the glam rock style that made him famous. This is straight up drum and bass and on first listen it can be hard to know what to make of it. Is Bowie once again reinventing himself and making a bold new statement on artistic integrity and the drive to delve even deeper into the culture's musical landscape? Or is chasing a sound that had already past its height of cultural relevance, desp...

Hunky Dory (1971)

  The Bowie Project #4 - Hunky Dory (1971) Click here to listen to an audio version of this review on Spotify   David Bowie’s fourth studio release is commonly referred to as the album where “Bowie starts to become Bowie”, while his previous efforts laid the foundations for all that would come after and explored themes which he would return to again and again, this is the record where he truly finds his distinctive style and sound. This release sees Bowie move away from the hard rock sound of his previous album The Man Who Sold the World and into a more pop rock piano-based style. The themes explored reflect many of the same things Bowie had been writing about previously, such as occultism and Nietzschean philosophy, but it also explore his newfound fascination with America and American culture. This was a resulted of touring the U.S. the previous year which inspired him to write songs dedicated to three American icons: Andy Warhol , Bob Dylan , and Lou Reed . At this point B...